Catedral Metropolitana de São Paulo, São Paulo, Brasil

Though Brasil is surrounded by Spanish speaking countries in South America, it seems that some people are always surprised that Brasilians speak Portuguese. Though Spanish can go a long way toward reading Portuguese, speaking it is a little more difficult. Each morning when I left my hotel, I asked the desk attendant for a new phrase that I could use during that day to order food, ask a price, or get directions. It became a challenge game between myself and the hotel staff and a fantastic way to show respect toward and engage with the people of São Paulo.
My experience in Brasil was vibrant and colorful. Women really do wear stilettos and look like fashionistas walking down Avenida Paulista. Fresh squeezed juice stands dot the street corners with beverages that rivaled my morning coffee!
I waited for a friend of mine to introduce me to Metro Station, Sé. We got off the train and explored the Catedral Metropolitana de São Paulo's tall spires. We walked inside to see the gothic architecture raise heavenward and the beautiful stained glass reflect with midday sun onto stone pillars. We wandered through a nearby museum with interesting artwork and visited the Centro business district with tall buildings and wide pedestrian walkways where men in suits flocked through for lunch. After quite a bit of walking and catching up, I returned to my hotel off of Avenida Paulista and prepared for my return home.
The city of São Paulo is enormous, colorful, full of culture, and worth visiting—even if it is only for the juice stands!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brunch at Nahaam, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

Tambulilid, Ormoc City, Leyte, Philippines

Plaza Mayor, Madrid, España