The Big Island of Hawaii, Hawaii, United States

This is a picture of patience. 
At times, photography is much more about having patience and taking advantage of the circumstances de jour than going out with an intention of finding the perfect shot.
You cannot plan to visit Big Ben and expect to carry home a crystal clear image on a sunny day in your lens. Chances are, it will rain that afternoon, or you will miss your bus, or tourists and business people will block your shot. But, if you leave yourself open to the circumstances or find patience to wait out the rain, you may perfectly capture a little girl's reflection in a pool of water nearby with the clock tower over her shoulder.
On my trip to the Big Island of Hawaii, I travelled to see the volcanoes. It rained and the lava was not flowing to the visible naked eye. I was travelling alone with a leisurely day planned to drive around half of the Island. I was about to walk through a small lava tube at the Royal Kona Coffee Mill & Museum to find some unique textures or shadows of black rock and capture them on my camera when my eye caught the striking contrast of a gold dust day gecko sitting in a red anthurium flower like it was his own private cabana.
I took several photos while slowly walking closer and bringing my camera in to capture the little green guy. I kept snapping hoping to get one well composed and perfectly focused photo. And, then it happened: he turned toward me. Right then the extra photos and few moments of quiet creeping toward the skittish creature gave me an unexpected and eye-catching photo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brunch at Nahaam, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

Tambulilid, Ormoc City, Leyte, Philippines

Louvre Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates